For several generations the Bakehouse was a thriving business in the bustling town of Llantrisant.

Marie Morgan (formerly David) (1827-1910) lived in the Tennis Courts pub on High Street and started baking bread before making beer in 1865 when the Cornish miners opened Ynysplwm pit and the Ely railway line. 

In 1870 her husband John Morgan bought land behind the Wheatsheaf for £1,000 and built Roam Road. 

Together they opened Morgan's Bakers. The business passed to their son Daniel Morgan who fell ill and his sister, Margaret Morgan (later Rees) ran the business. Another sister, Mary, married Henry Williams, landlord of The Bear.

Margaret (1870-1957) married Richard Rees (1868-1957) of South Cornelly who came to Llantrisant to establish a carpentry business and wheelwrights with contracts to build houses during World War I. 

By April 1918 he joined his wife to run the bakehouse. Their daughter, Margaret (born 1908) married Stuart David (1904-1993), son of “Johnny White Hart”, who came to work in the bakehouse in 1917 and was one of the first master bakers to graduate from Cardiff Technical College. 

The bakery existed in this form until 1951 when introduction of sliced bread destroyed the business. Instead they continued as corn merchants and suppliers of animal food.

Tom "The Butch"


Thomas Albert Davies, the pig slaughterer of Newbridge Road (1877-1960) was better known as Tom “Butch”.

He was born in Nantymoel and came to Llantrisant after marrying Margaret Rees of Cefn y Mabley Farm in 1898 and worked at the Colonial Stores in Pontypridd.

Tom was a Freeman of Llantrisant and during the 1940s served on the Town Trust. The couple had two daughters named Gwyneth (Hooper) and Blodwen (Westcott).

Enjoying a notorious reputation as a slaughterer, he would undertake the work at farms in the area. It was not uncommon for Tom, after a few too many drinks, to kill the animals and make off with various organs without the farmer’s knowledge.

According to the sign in the background, during the very rare moment when this photograph was taken there was “no beer about”.