Great controversy surrounded Llantrisant Town Trust in 1922 when it allowed golf to be played on the Common.
Fiercely protective of the land, Freemen were furious at the decision and for more than five years the battle ensued.
It was David Lukey, the local school attendance officer, who pushed for the item to be passed. Mr Lukey, himself a trustee, was supported by David Grabham and both gentlemen would eventually play prominent roles in the club, with Mr Lukey becoming the first captain.
It stretched for two miles, four furlongs, 200 yards and consisted of nine holes. The secretary was Stanley Thomas and the treasurer was Mr J. Lews.
In July 1925, a deputation was invited to put their case before the Town Trust, who decided to uphold the decision to allow golf to be played on the Common.
Those opposed to it held a public meeting at the Red Dragon and Freemen and their wives deliberately interrupted games. Freemen and their families attacked the course, smashing discs and cups, stealing balls and flags and throwing the items into the Common Pond and wives sat on the holes.
The golfers to resigned themselves to the fact that they were no longer welcome, and in 1927 they secured land at Talbot Green.