500 AD: Aneurin talked of the white houses of Glamorgan in his poetry, with reference to Llantrisant's early Celtic settlement.
550: A monastery was established nearby in honour of St Cawrdaf, giving rise to the belief that the area was called Llangawrdaf.
600: A Celtic settlement existed in Llantrisant.
994: First charter of Llantrisant supposedly awarded by the Welsh Lord, Gwrgan ap Ithel. A wooden castle existed in the town.
1090: War between prince of Glamorgan Iestyn ap Gwrgan and Rhys ap Tewrdwr. Iestyn was murdered in 1127 by Sir Robert Fitzhamon, whose duty was to spread Norman rule across that part of Wales.
1092: Castle was fortified by Robert the Consul Earl of Gloucester on the site of Gwrgan ap Ithel's original castle. Robert married Mabel, daughter of Fitzhamon.
1096: Llantrisant Parish Church built, dedicated to Illtyd, Gwynno and Tyfodwg which indicates the priests who founded it came from St Illtyd's monastery at Llantwit Major.
1127: Battle between the Welsh warriors and the new Norman lords in the town.
1135: Norman lords driven out of Llantrisant
1147: William, Earl of Gloucester, succeeded his father, Robert the Consul. Llantrisant was reclaimed by them.
1217: Gilbert de Clare made Lord of Glamorgan and continued to oust the Welsh during subsequent uprisings in South Wales.
1230: Richard de Clare, Earl of Gloucester made Lord
1245: Richard de Clare finally conquered Meisgyn, dethroning Hywel ap Maredudd and moved into Llantrisant as the hub of his new lordship.
1246: Llantrisant Castle became a brick, fortified castle 'second only to Cardiff in military importance'. The church was rebuilt in Norman style.
1252: A daughter was born to Earl of Gloucester Richard de Clare, Margaret, at Llantrisant Castle at Christmas-time.
1259: The castle was damaged by the Welsh attacks of Madog ap Llewelyn.
1262: Gilbert 'The Red' became Lord of Glamorgan. An emerging town was beginning under the walls of the castle. The lord was becoming too powerful for Edward I's peace of mind, and his power was eroded by the king. Glamorgan was eventually returned to Gilbert for 10,000 marks.
1280: A battle between the Welsh and the Normans destroyed 100 houses in Llantrisant.
1294: A national rebellion by Madog ap Llywelyn with the standard raised in Glamorgan by Morgan ap Maredud, a descent of the kings of Glamorgan who expelled Gilbert. The castle was damaged and the town sacked. Gilbert recaptured Cardiff, but it took King Edward to pacify the area and reclaim the lordship.
1307: A second Gilbert de Clare became Lord of Glamorgan at the age of 16. Llantrisant had grown despite the setbacks, probably to about 145 house plots.
1314: Gilbert killed at Bannockburn, Scotland. Bartholomew de Badelesmere was appointed by Edward II to be custodian of the castles, but in the meantime a major rebellion occurred in Llantrisant and 47 homes destroyed, while the castle was damaged too.
1315: Llantrisant Castle damaged during the attacks of Llewellyn Bren's revolution, which devastated the entire lordship in nine weeks.
1317: Hugh le Despenser married the de Clare daughter, Eleanor, and became the new Lord of Glamorgan, and thus introduced a whole new dynasty.
1321: Hugh was a favourite of the weak King Edward II, which, combined with his rapacious ambition, did nothing to endear him to the other barons. His rule also failed to appeal to the Welsh tenants. Matters came to a head when the barons rebelled and ran over Glamorgan. Llantrisant Castle wrecked at the hands of the barons, during the Despenser War in Glamorgan. Hugh exiled.
1322: King Edward II's defeat of Barons at Boroughbridge and Hugh le Despenser's exile ended. Hugh continued with his ambitious policy.
1326: King Edward II sought support in Wales against the English aristocracy, led by his estranged queen, Isabella, and her lover, Roger de Mortimer. On November 16, the king and Hugh le Despenser fell victim of a secret plot involving a Cistercian monk from Neath. They were captured at Pant y Brad, near Tonyrefail, and imprisoned in Llantrisant Castle overnight. The king was later executed at Berkeley Castle
1346: During the reign of King Edward III, a charter was awarded by the second Hugh le Despenser giving the Freemen of Llantrisant all the freedom and rights enjoyed by the burgesses of Cardiff for two centuries. Five months later, and longbow men from the town fought at the Battle of Crecy in France.
1358: Edward le Despenser, Lord of Glamorgan, reissued the charter to Llantrisant.
1386: Parish of Llantrisant came under the jurisdiction of the Abbot of Tewkesbury
1397: A third confirmation charter.
1404: The castle was allegedly demolished by Owain Glyndwr, when he raided the country. His heroic struggle for Welsh independence, from 1400 to 1406, caused families from 60 homes in Llantrisant to flee the town.
1421: Llantrisant Charter reissued by Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick.
1424: Charter issued by Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick. It made Llantrisant a Corporate Town which consisted of a steward, port reeve, 12 aldermen, town clerk; Constable of the Castle; sergeant at mace; two overseers of the market; four overseers of the Common, and an indefinite number of burgesses or Freemen.
1490: Llantrisant Parish Church's west end and
1514: The town witnessed a massive decline into a village scarcely bigger than it was 200 years early, largely due to the Black Death.
1536: Historian Leland visited Llantrisant but found the castle in ruin. The tower was used as a cell for the local court and the remains of the walls used as a quarry by local people. The borough of Llantrisant had a representative in Parliament which began in the reign
of King Henry VIII.
1539: The parish of Llantrisant, which extended to the Breconshire border was moved from the jurisdiction of the Abbot of Tewkesbury to the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester
1630: Edmund Treharne became portreeve of the town and lived in Castellau mansion.
1633: Llantrisant Town Mace was first used.
1650: The baptist movement was first recorded in the town.
1662: The Reverend Henry Williams was ejected from Llantrisant for 'misbehaviour'.
1701: The Reverend James Harris established two schools in the parish, and both were well-supported. There were 30 pupils on the roll.
1718: A peal of six bells were hung in the church tower, each one inscribed. The originals were sent, probably by water, to E Evans, of Chepstow, to be melted down.
1736: Hopkin Hopkins, the world's shortest man, was born near Llantrisant. He suffered from progeria and at the time of his death in 1754 weighed 13lb and was 2ft 7in tall.
1740: Morgan Jones became portreeve of the town. Reports in the Court Leet records show a number of incidents of affray, bloodshed and profaning the Sabbath by playing ball.
1741: Methodist Movement first recorded at Ty Newydd Farm. The leader, Thomas William, who drowned in the river in Treorchy.
1764: More than 40 residents died in 14 days due to a smallpox epidemic.
1767: John, the First Marquis of Bute, inherited the estate.
1770: Llantrisant Vicarage was built near Heol Las under the guidance of Rev Robert Rickards
1771: Cymreigyddion Society met at The Swan Inn to promote Welsh literature, poetry and music.
1773: Lady Windsor paid for the Guild Hall and cornmarket to be rebuilt, costing '100.
1775: Penuel (Calvinistic Methodist) opened after securing lease of house, stables and garden at Ffynnon Newydd on High Street.
1780: Watkin Evans became 'surgeon and apothecary' of the town. The Bear Inn was built on the Bull Ring
1783: A decision was made to open a workhouse in the town, due to the increasing number of poor residing there. This was the first workhouse in Glamorgan. It was opened in May 1784 using part of the Black Cock pub on Yr Allt.
1789: The marketplace at the Town Hall was opened.
1806: The Reverend Robert Rickards, a major political force, became port reeve of the town
1808: Bethel Chapel (Welsh Independent) opened (now the Church Hall).
1812: Baptists held a meeting in the Market Hall.
1814 to 1817: No new Freemen admitted due to Town Clerk Richard Fowler Rickards' 'arrogance and unpopularity'. He was the vicar's son!
1820 Quaker's Meeting House, Y Ty Cwrdd,
was sold for '25
1822: The Llantrisant Common Pond was opened. The original pond was situated within the boundaries of the castle and was probably a home for swans (hence Swan Street).
1824: Tabor Chapel was built by the Welsh Baptist movement.
1826: Penuel Chapel, built on High Street, and the Town Pump, on the Bull Ring, was deepened.